Sunday, July 21, 2019

About Us

     Since we seem to be gaining a following, I’ve decided it might be helpful to provide some details about ourselves and our personal mission. I met Shaun about a year ago (September 2018) in Woods Hole after he had sailed from Connecticut where he purchased his 1973 32’ Conyplex sloop. As the winter was nearing and we grew closer, I convinced him to winter with my family and I before heading north. 

     For most of the winter I struggled with the idea of going on this trip with him because as most people might see this as crazy, so did I. After I personally made it through this long, sad and confusing winter I was forced to look within and decide how best to move forward in my growth. In the month we’ve been at sea, I’ve grown exponentially. Shaun insists I need to start writing about what a ‘bad bitch’ I’ve become, so here you have it. I’ve never felt so free and capable.

     Our dogs, Brik and Luna, are as happy as they could be to see new beaches and trails almost everyday. We’ve heard many concerns from strangers about where they will go to the bathroom, etc. We take them in to shore early morning and early night to run and play. Some days we spend our entire day on land exploring whichever town or city we happen to be in. They make friends everyday and love the attention. 

     As far as concern for our lack of experience goes, it’s unnecessary. We are concerned enough on our own. We spend hours each day calculating weather, tides, winds, distances and charts. We use our navigational depth finder. We don’t sail in inclement conditions. If there is rain or storms in the forecast, we either find a mooring or stay on the one we may already be on. We respect the sea before anything else and put an incredible amount of thought into every move we make. What should be understood is that we aren’t sailing to make time, we aren’t boating for the interests of anyone else, we are on a journey to learn and grow and to see some cool places along the way.

     We don’t have any source of income and we don’t have a hold on the wallets of anyone else in our lives. We have been fortunate thus far to receive bits of monetary help from a few people that love us but it is not the backbone of our journey. We are completely stocked with non-perishables and dog food. We eat canned goods, rice and beans in various combinations and enjoy fresh fruit and veggies when we can. 

We are excited to continue our journey with the support of our new followers and hope that we can offer some enlightenment to those in need. Ahoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment